Landscape Check List
When you take your test shots you want to check the following:
1) Good composition - if not recompose.
2) Good focus - if not refocus - or try a smaller aperture
3) Horizon level - straighten it up
4) Good dynamic range - check your histogram - adjust exposure
5) Skies burnt out - use a polarising filter or Neutral Density Graduated filter.
6) Skies burnt out - with no filter, reduce the exposure until detail appears. Consider taking two shots, one of the sky, one of the landscape.